Today’s post is a list of anti-aging products in the Indian market that are suitable for acne prone skin. This post is in preparation for an anti-aging anti-acne regimen that will be coming up soonish.
But first, let’s get the age-old (no pun intended) question out of the way.
At what age should you start using anti-aging products?
Everyone knows you should drink a lot of water. It is said that by the time you realize you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated.
In my opinion, it is the same with aging – by the time you realize you need anti-aging products, you are already a little late in the game.
More objectively, you could start using some sort of anti-aging routine once you hit 21. Something as simple as sunscreen + night time moisturizer should be enough. Then build up on it at every 5-year mark.
Aging and acne prone skin
First some good news – many of the best anti-acne ingredients also form the best anti-aging ingredients. Many of us have been using anti-acne products with tretinoin, retinol, glycolic acid etc. for years, so we are a little ahead of the others, you may say.
That combined with the inherent oiliness of acne prone skin ensures the skin does not age as fast as drier skin types. Men have an added advantage of thicker skin, so their skin ages slower than women’s.
Now for the bad news. As you age, any depressed acne scars will show up more deeply because of loss of collagen that keeps young skin firm and stretches the depressed scarring to a flatter appearance. This is a major downside of aging when you have depressed acne scars.
Your friends in the battle against aging are: anti-oxidants (vitamin C, E), peptides, hyaluronic acid, AHA, BHA, retinoids and sunscreen. Among a million others, if the number of products in the market is anything to go by, but this is a basic set.
When we talk aging, these are the signs we are talking about: dryness, thinner skin, age spots, loss of collagen, loss of firmness, loss of elasticity, fine and deep wrinkles.
A good night-time product can take care of many of these issues. But herein lies the problem for acne prone skin – most of the night creams are too rich and laced with pore-clogging stuff.
Non-comedogenic anti-aging products
This list is a result of what I have found as well as what our precious community members have posted. Please do share your recommendations in the comments so they can be added here.
If you can do only one thing for your skin, then keep it moisturized. Hydration is said to preserve skin elasticity. It also helps skin heal itself from any kind of damage faster.
- Neutrogena Oil-free Moisture for Combination Skin
- Hyalugel by Ethicare Remedies (hyaluronic acid)
- Sebamed Clear Face Gel
- Kaya Skin Clinic Nourishing Night Cream with Anti Oxidants
Vitamin C, E
Vitamin C helps promote collagen re-building and also reduces dark spots.
- Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Strea-C 10 cream capsules (10% vitamin C)
- Facemed Gel (5% vitamin C, 6% niacinamide)
- Epishine (15% vitamin C)
- Rejuglow VC 20 Serum (20% vitamin C)
- Vera Gel (Dermocare) 2.5% vitamin C, 4% niacinamide
- Kaya Skin Clinic Nourishing Night Cream
- Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Strea E cream capsules
Retinoids, specificially tretinoin is the gold standard in anti-aging. Retinol, a less effective cousin of tretinoin is gentler, and can be found in many over-the-counter products.
- Triacneal (retinaldehyde)
- Yugard (retinol)
- Retino-A / Nexret (tretinoin)
- Dr. Reddy’s Strea-A (retinol) cream capsules
Peptides promote collagen production and prevent formation of wrinkles.
- Olay Regenerist Regenerating Serum (looks non-comedogenic, but some people have reported breakouts)
- Olay Regenerist Night Firming Cream (contains mildly comedogenic petrolatum)
- L’Oreal Youth Code Rejuvenating Anti-Wrinkle Concentrate
Exfoliants AHA and BHA
Exfoliants such as Alypha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) and Beta Hyroxy Acids (BHA) not only increase skin renewal rate, removing hyper pigmentation, but also help with collagen production.
- Rejuglow Gel (10% glycolic acid)
- Olliza Gel (12% glycolic acid)
- Sebonac Gel (1% salicylic acid)
- Olay Age Protect Anti-aging Cream
- Keracnyl cream
- Triacneal (6% glycolic acid)
A broad-spectrum sunscreen is essential if you are to see full benefits of the rest of your skincare. It prevents skin aging, wrinkling, leathery skin, skin darkening, age spots and generalized hyper pigmentation that sets in with aging. Choosing a moisturizing sunscreen is an added benefit.
Sunscreen also prevents loss of collagen from sun damage. These are some of the moisturizing sunscreen formulas for acne prone skin.
- Sunprotek SPF 30+ or SPF 50+ Gel
- Sebamed Sun Care SPF 30 lotion
- Bioderma Photoderm Spot SPF 50+ creme
De-pigmentation products tackle dark spots and dark patches of skin caused by sun damage, aging or acne.
- Kojivit Gel
- Cosglo Gel
- Olay Total Effects Serum
- Pond’s Gold Radiance Precious Youth Serum (mainly gold particles suspended in alcohol, skip it)
Eye creams are mostly comedogenic since they are loaded with ingredients like almond oil and various other emollients, but if you choose an eye cream that does not travel much, you reduce the chances of them causing breakouts on the face.
- Sebamed Co-Q10
- Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair
- Clinique All About Eyes
Comedogenic anti-aging products in the market
These products are either clearly comedogenic or have reportedly caused breakouts. A lot of these are from drugstore brands like Lakme, Pond’s and Olay. Not surprisingly, since these products are designed for the mass market covering normal, dry and oily skin, and not just for a minority with acne-prone skin.
Try to avoid them or you will find yourself battling aging as well as acne.
If you do want to go ahead with any of these, choose ones with retinol in them, as it is a strong pore-unclogger and may help you avoid pimples despite other pore-clogging stuff.
- Lakme Youth Infinity Skin Firming Day Creme SPF 15 PA++
- Garnier Wrinkle Lift Anti Ageing Cream
- Pond’s Gold Radiance Youthful Night Repair
- Pond’s Gold Radiance Day Cream SPF 15 PA++
- Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Moisturizer SPF 30
- Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Moisturizer
- Lotus Herbals Almondyouth Almond Anti-wrinkle Cream
- Pond’s Age Miracle Deep Action Night Cream
- Pond’s Age Miracle Daily Resurfacing Cream SPF 15 PA++
- L’Oreal Dermo Expertise Youth Code Night Cream (this one may be non-comedogenic, not sure)
- L’Oreal Revitalift Anti-Wrinkle+Firming Cream (night)
- Olay Total Effects 7-IN-ONE Anti-ageing + Fairness Cream
- Olay Total Effects Day Cream Normal SPF 15
- Olay Total Effects Day Cream Gentle SPF 15
- Olay Total EFfects Day Cream Normal (without SPF)
- Olay Total EFfects Day Cream Gentle (without SPF)
- Olay Total Effects 7-In-1 Anti-Aging Night Cream
- Olay Total Effects Foaming Cleanser
- Olay Regenerist Micro Sculpting Cream Moisturizer
- Olay Regenerist Micro Sculpting Serum
- Olay Regenerist Cream Cleanser
- Olay Regenerst Regenerist Wrinkle Revolution Complex
- Kaya Skin Clinic Hyaluronic Moisturising Serum