Sometimes you have to try a product to know if it works for your acne prone skin or not.
When it comes to pimples, it helps to err on the side of caution. Learning to spot acne causing ingredients before you put anything on your skin is essential to keeping acne prone skin healthy.
For example, Wheatgerm oil is considered a good moisturizing agent, but it is highly comedogenic.
Comedogenic means something that can block the tiny pores in the skin. Blocked pores can develop into red, swollen pimples.
A product does not have to be loaded with tons of comedogenic ingredients in order to cause or aggravate pimples. Just one comedogenic ingredient is enough to cause you pimples.
Don’t miss our master list of 80+ Indian face creams and lotions KNOWN to cause acne.
You can spot products with comedogenic ingredients before you buy them. With our revolutionary, free smartphone application : Skingredients. Install and use Skingredients app on your smartphone.
Comedogenic ingredients commonly found in Indian skin care
Below is a list of common Indian skin care ingredients that can block your pores and cause pimples. Not all of them are highly comedogenic, but it helps to know potential pimple makers.
- Wheatgerm oil (Lotus Herbals Alphamoist, Aroma Magic Almond Moisturizing Lotion, Himalaya Face Moisturizing Lotion, The Body Shop Vitamin E Night Cream)
- Cocoa Butter (Lotus Herbals Cocomoist, The Body Shop body butter, Vaseline lotion)
- Lanolin (shaving creams, baby creams)
- Almond Oil (Aroma Magic Almond Moisturizing Lotion)
- Camphor (foot creams, face masks, Divya Kantilep )
- Glyceryl Stearate ( Palmolive Charmis cold cream, Pond’s Cold Cream )
- Cetearyl Alcohol (Dabur Gulabari Cold Cream, Pond’s Cold Cream)
- Corn Oil
- Corn starch (Aroma Magic Mineral Glow Scrub)
- Sunflower Oil (Pond’s Cold Cream)
- Olive Oil
- Sandalwood Oil ( Vicco Turmeric )
- Castor Oil ( Lacto Calamine, Garnier Pure Pimple Control Pen)
- Glycerin (Pond’s Cold Cream, face creams)
- Coconut Oil (highly comedogenic)
- Shea Butter (Lotus Herbals Sheamoist, Jovees Shea Butter moisturizer)
- Isopropyl Myristate (face creams, Pond’s White Beauty Daily Spot-less Lightening Cream)
- Isopropyl Palmitate (Fabindia De-pigmentation Cream, Johnson’s Baby Lotion)
- Sesame Oil (hair oils can trickle down the face and cause pimples)
- Paraffin (Oilatum Emollient, Pond’s Cold Cream)
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (highly comedogenic – different from Sodium Laureth Sulphate which is mildly comedogenic)
- Collagen (anti-aging products)
- Ceramides (anti-aging products)
- Silicon Oil (RevAyur Soft Day Cream Enriched with Rosehip Oil)
- Silicone (hair conditioners, foundations, face creams)
- unknown cream base (face / body creams)
- Bismuth Oxychloride (L’Oreal True Match Minerals)
- Avocado Oil (The Nature’s Co. Marshmallow Day Cream)
- Ethylhexyl Palmitate (Maybelline Clear Glow BB Cream/Stick)
Do you check the ingredients before buying products?