There have been a lot of queries about face wash for oily to very oily skin. This post lists some face wash options for combating excessive oiliness. They can be used by both guys and girls.
You would normally not need to use these because some of them can be very drying unless you have really oily skin. You will have to shop around and experiment a little from this list until you find the one you like best.
Read about mattifying gels and lotions for very oily skin here.
Sulphur based cleansers are very effective in removing oil and keeping skin shine-free. We usually frown at soaps and prefer face washes, but these soaps work well for very oily skin. If you are driven to the wall with oiliness, give them a try. They are available at medical stores.
- Acnil soap (sulphur, salicylic acid) – price Rs. 40
- Dermosun soap (1.5% sulphur) – price Rs. 35 for 100 gm.
- Sastid soap by Glaxo Smith Kline (GSK) Stiefel (3% salicylic acid, 10% sulphur) – price Rs. 66 for 50 gm, Rs. 98 for 100 gm bar. The percent of ingredients in it is higher than usual. Although people have been using it on the face, do a patch test on the inner arm before using it on your face. In this whole list, Sastid is probably the strongest.
Fash Foam Cleanser by Curatio Healthcare. Price Rs. 249 for 100 ml. Can be a bit drying unless the skin is really oily. Ask for the foaming formula, not the gel tube. Available at medical stores.
Saslic Foaming Face Wash by Cipla. Price Rs. 150 for 60 ml. Comes in 2 strengths – 1% and 2% DS (double strength). Available at medical stores.
LUSH Coalface Soap This black coloured soap sucks out excess oil and keeps skin oil-free for hours. Not exactly cheap at Rs. 655 for 100 gm, Coalface has a worldwide following of oily-skinned folk. It does contain rosewood oil and sandalwood oil which don’t bode well for acne prone skin. Still, for APST 1, APST 2 it is a good mattifying soap.
Benzoyl Peroxide (BP) cleansers also help combat oiliness apart from keeping acne in check. If you notice an increase in redness of acne spots, reduce frequency of use or use a lower percent of BP.
- Proactiv Renewing Cleanser comes as part of a kit that costs around Rs. 3600.
- Brevoxyl Creamy Wash by Glaxo Smith Kline (GSK) Stiefel with 4% benzoyl peroxide. Price Rs. 105 for 50 gm. Available at medical stores.
- Acne-free (2.5% benzoyl peroxide), Perobar and Acnestar are soap options. Available at medical stores.
Garnier Men Oilclear Deep Cleansing Face Wash Priced at Rs. 150 for 100 gm, it has clay to abosorb exccess oil. The catch is that it does have some pore-clogging ingredients that will not be suitable for skin that breaks out easily. Voted as Product of the Year 2012, it provides long-lasting oil-control.
Medimix Ayurvedic soap Priced at Rs. 28, Medimix is pretty good for oil control. It is not meant for skin that breaks out easily as it does contain a bunch of oils. Maybe test it on part of the face and see how it works for you. It is available at grocery stores and online at medplusbeauty.com.
The newly launched Medimix face wash works well for oily skin, although it does not contain the same oil-reducing power as the soap bar. The soap bar is better for very oily skin.
Gram flour or besan as it is known in Indian kitchens is an effective oil-control cleanser. Mix besan with water (not milk) and gently rub it all over the face before washing it off. Using a face wash followed by besan will ensure an oil-free look. Rice flour can be mixed in too.
Stay tuned for upcoming posts on lotions, leave-no treatments and masks for very oily skin.