This review + Skingredients analysis of L’Oreal La Creme True Match Skin Idealizing BB Cream SPF 35 PA +++ threw up a pleasant surprise. Has L’Oreal gone out of its way this time to come out with a non-comedogenic BB cream?
Available in 3 shades to suit Indian skin tones, it can be used by both men and women. At Rs. 550 for 30 ml, it will last a little over a month.
water, dimethicone, glycerin, isododecane, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, alcohol, PEG-10 dimethicone, dipropylene glycol, betaine, talc, diisotearyl malate, disteardimonium hectorite, ethylhexyl hydroxystearate, henoxyethanol, magnesium sulphate, silica, apricot kernel oil, dimethiconol, aluminium starch octenylsuccinate, dimethicone crosspolymer, vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, disodium stearoyl glutamate, tocopheryl acetate, paciflora edulis seed oil, macadamia ternifolia seed oil, coriander fruit oil, jojoba seed oil, ascorbyl glucoside, alumina, sodium hyaluronate, pentaerythrityl tetraisostearate, aluminium hydroxide, adenosine, silica dimethyl silylate, sodium chondroitin sulphate, atelocollagen
May contain: titanium dioxide, bismuth oxychloride, iron oxides
I’ve gone ahead and pasted both the ingredients and may contain ingredients in the Skingredients box.
Found 7 acne causing ingredients
Dimethicone is mildly comedogenic
Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil is mildly comedogenic
Talc is mildly comedogenic
Apricot Kernel Oil is mildly comedogenic
Bismuth Oxychloride is mildly comedogenic
Coriander Fruit Oil is mildly comedogenic
Jojoba Seed Oil is mildly comedogenic
These are all mildly comedogenic, meaning unless your skin breaks out very easily, you will be fine using these ingredients.
Yes, the oils. But all of these oils are at most mildly comedogenic and some are even recommended for oily and acne prone skin.
- Apricot kernel oil – mildly comedogenic.
- Paciflora edulis seed oil – passion fruit oil or maracuja oil, mildly comedogenic, known for its calming, anti-aging and hydrating properties.
- Macadamia ternifolia seed oil – also seen in Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, this is Macadamia oil, mildly comedogenic.
- Coriander fruit oil – an antibacterial oil that is being researched for its anti-acne properties.
- Jojoba seed oil – popular with acne prone folk, jojoba oil makes a guest appearance here.
- No highly comedogenic nasties like Ethylhexyl Palmitate as present in Maybelline, The Body Shop or Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector BB Cream. Lakme CC cream is comedogenic too. So is Pond’s White Beauty BB Cream.
- Easy spreadability, reported better than Lakme and Maybelline.
- In-built lilac shade corrector to cancel out dullness due to yellow skin tones.
- Pretty good SPF protection and high PA rating (SPF 35 PA+++) to protect skin from tanning, aging and sun burns.
- Impressive anti-aging ingredients not commonly found in drugstore products – maracuja oil (passion fruit), atelocollagen, adenosine and sodium hyaluronate.
- Suitable for acne prone skin that feels dry from using treatment products.
- It has a mix of mattifying agents and a non-greasy base despite all the oils. This is why it is being reported to cause a less greasy look on oily skin than other BB creams.
- The oils. Even though they are all mildly comedogenic, there is no guarantee they won’t break you out.
- Oily skinned folk will have to use powder over it to prevent shine from oil breakthrough.
- May contain bismuth oxychloride, which, in some cases, may cause skin irritation.
The bottom line
A surprisingly acne-friendly product from L’Oreal. Very good moisturizing and anti-aging properties, exotic ingredients, good sun protection and coverage. All ingredients are at most mildly comedogenic. Looks like a safe buy for Acne Prone Skin Type 1 & 2.
Specifically, if your skin feels dry from acne treatments, and aging is one of your concerns, this could be for you. It will probably be too oily for teenagers or those in their early twenties whose skin gets greasy very easily.